Sometimes we just can't figure it out.
And so couples seek counseling--right away or sometimes as a last resort.
My couples work can be both short-term or longer in nature. This work is often a combination of building practical skills and deepening intimacy. Couples can seek therapy because of ongoing arguments, diminished sex life, lack of communication, parenting, or some other crisis.
Some activities of couples counseling include:
- Remembering who you are as individuals and as a couple
- Learning and practicing honest and assertive communication
- Creating time and space to work on the relationship
- Working through past hurts in order strengthen your loving bond now
- Identifying and sharing emotions
- Negotiating needs and wants in the relationship
- Strengthening parenting agreements and partnership
- Working through issues related to blended families
- Making the decision to continue with the relationship or to begin the separation process